Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) was launched on 21st Jan 2015 under the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Campaign. The scheme mainly focuses to meet the expenses of girl child as she grows and needs financial support for highest education and marriage.
Eligibility to open an account under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana:
- Gender: For Girl child only
- Citizenship: Child should be Indian citizen
- Age limit: On the date of opening the account, the child’s age should 10 years or younger.
Where can an account be opened:
Forms for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana are available in all leading major banks and post offices in India.
- Birth certificate of the girl child
- Identity proof of the depositor
- Residence proof of the depositor
- In 1 year, minimum Rs 1000/- needs to be invested., thereafter in multiples of 100/-
- Maximum of Rs 1, 50,000/- can be invested.
- Deposits can be made in lump-sum or spread out manner.
- No limit on number of deposits either in a month or in a financial year.
Operation of the account:
- The account will be opened and operated by the guardian of a girl child till the girl child, in whose name the account has been opened, attains the age of 10 years.
- On attaining age of 10 years, the girl child may herself operate the account
Tenure of the Scheme:
- Deposit needs to made until 14 years from opening of account.
- Deposit under this scheme will mature 21 year after opening of the account.
Withdrawal under the scheme:
- No Premature Withdrawal is permitted, but maximum up to 50% of deposit amount can be withdrawn for marriage or higher education of girl child, once she reaches 18 years of age.
Termination of the Scheme:
- Scheme Tenure is 21 years from date of opening, or when the marriage of the girl child happens; whichever happens earlier.
- Account will compulsorily have to be closed after marriage of the girl child.
- In case after maturity of the account (21 years) the girl child does not marry, and if account is not closed after maturity, balance will continue to earn interest as specified for the scheme from time to time.
Rate of Interest under the Scheme:
- For this year (2016) 9.2% p.a, yearly compounded.
- Every year GOI will announce the ROI applicable for that financial year.